Monday, January 5, 2009

Every Mother's Worst Nightmare-Surgery

A couple of months ago, Braxton came up to me and said "Momma my fingers hurt". I was thinking ok, well he just wants me to kiss his boo-boo and everything will be better. Well, he kept complaining and crying that his fingers hurt. He couldn't even pick up a toy. Being the over paranoid mother I am...I checked his fingers out again. He was mostly complaining about his thumbs. As I was checking them out, they looked fine, and then I felt this huge knot that was on the palm of his hand, under his thumb. My heart was pounding and I was shaking all over....everything wrong was running through my head. I looked at the his other thumb and it was the same way. His thumbs were straight, but they had knots on them. I role-played in my mind everyday of what he did, what he played with, and he never got hurt. We went to the Lake over Thanksgiving and rode 4-wheelers, but he never got hurt and I remember his fingers being straight. A couple of hours had passed and he wasn't complaining about them anymore. He was so tired and ready for bed. The next morning, I check his fingers out and the knots were gone! But something else didn't look right. I was watching him eat his breakfast and noticed that he couldn't straighten his thumbs. I tried pressing on them and they would not budge. Brax was like "Momma no, that hurts". So, I immediately called the doctor.

After being on hold for more than hour, because of the flu season, I was finally able to talk with Dr. Chesier. He said he probably dislocated his thumbs and take him to the emergency room now or to Pro-Med. Let me tell you...Brax did great at the doctor! I was so proud of him. He let the doctor look at his fingers (bribbing him with a sucker of course) and he said we needed to take some x-rays. Oh wow...here we go! This was not going to be fun. All I could think in my head is crying, screaming, holding him down for an x-ray...etc. Well, low and behold Brax proved me wrong. He held the nurses hand into the x-ray room and sat up on the table and held out his thumbs. He was such a big boy. The nurses were loving him and said "you need to come back more often and see us". After about 30 mins of x-rays, he got down and said "Mommy, I did it...I got x-weighed...and a ducker (sucker)!" He was loving the doctors office.

Finally the results........the doctor said that he is too young to pop the fingers back into place (thank god I was thinking to myself) and he needs to go see an orthopedic doctor.
So, here we were again....waiting...waiting...waiting! They even did more x-rays on Brax and once again he did great. The doctor said he has "TRIGGER THUMBS"! Ok, I am sitting there thinking what in the world is that? He said that he could have fallen months ago and all of the sudden now it inflamed. We have tendons in our fingers and they are suppose to go trough a barrell. Well Braxton's had flared up and the tendon can't make it through, that is what is making his thumbs into a trigger. Wow...it sure is amazing on what you learn on a daily basis being a parent.

Well, Wednesday morning Braxton has to have surgery on his thumbs. Surgery, I cringe hearing that word and thinking my baby is going through that. I have been worried about this every since the doctor said "surgery"!!!!! I have to say if this is the only surgery he has to go through in his life, I will be very happy and blessed!!!!
Please say a prayer for Braxton. I know he is going to be in good hands, but I am still so worried. Ahhh the joys of being a mother!

P.S. I will post some pics of the "Trigger fingers" tonight. I don't have my camera with me.

4 comments:

  1. Scary! I will be praying for you and Braxton! He is such a cutie, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little man!! We'll keep him in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby :( They are tougher than we are, really! I'll be thinking about you and Braxton, He'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is Braxton?? Did everything go well??

    ReplyDelete